Tuesday, October 20, 2015

TRUE HAUNTINGS

Most people have never encountered real paranormal activity, yet I myself have witnessed these mysterious occurrences a few times. This page will discuss incidents and hauntings that I've personally experienced, as well as other reported phenomenon ...and I assure you; completely TRUE.
As you may or may not know, the city of Long Beach in California is a very haunted place in general - so I'm going to begin with the most well known locations.


The Queen Mary
While the news about hauntings on the RMS Queen Mary (which is moored in Long Beach, California) are nothing new; my experience was. This happened long before the stories of ghosts on the ship began to circulate, and long before the company decided to capitalize on these strange and otherworldly activities.

http://www.ghostlyactivities.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/11/Queen-Mary-Ghost-Hunt.jpg
RMS Queen Mary

1985: While aboard the Queen Mary for dinner, I excused myself to visit the ladies room on the main floor. Outside of the restaurant as I made my way down the hall, there was not one person in sight which I thought was odd especially since the Queen Mary was an upscale hotel and tourist venue. Nevertheless, I was drawn into the spell of the Queen's historic beauty and wandered around for just a bit. 

Main Floor

After freshening up in the powder room I was observing the lovely decor and period furnishings. All of a sudden I felt as though I wasn't alone, strangely cold, and a wave of nervousness came over me. I had the distinct feeling that something just wasn't right. I looked about the room. Nothing. 
I then made a last glance in the mirror before leaving and saw a ghostly figure of a woman behind me! She was definitely dressed in 1930's clothing, and appeared to be giggling as I froze in complete and utter shock. I could not help but to stare, attempting to confirm that what I was seeing was real. Interestingly I did not feel threatened, yet I was frightened. I practically ran out of there and back to the restaurant but didn't mention this. Years later the paranormal activity on the ship became widely documented, and now the RMS Queen Mary is recognized as one of the most haunted locations in the world. And no, at the time this happened I didn't have a clue. I kept my experience to myself, so you can imagine my relief knowing that what happened to me was definitely fact and not fiction.
 
http://media-cdn.tripadvisor.com/media/photo-s/05/78/51/f1/ghosts-legends-tour.jpg
Just one of many dark halls leading to various destinations on the ship

Sightings are very well documented on her majesty with more than 150 known spirits lurking upon the ship. In the Queen’s Salon, which was once the ship’s first-class lounge, a beautiful lady in an elegant white evening gown has often been seen dancing alone in the shadows of the corner of the room.
Late night echoes of children playing and laughing have been reported, particularly in the second class poolroom where the spirit of a little girl named Jackie has been seen and heard on many occasions. Sounds of water splashing in the empty swimming pools, and ghosts of women clad in vintage style swim suits wandering around the first and second class swimming pools have also been noted. The Queen Mary's engine room below deck is said to be a hotbed of paranormal activity - as well as the notoriously haunted stateroom B340. Not to mention orb sightings throughout the ship and odd occurrences which continue in a number of guest rooms and other locations on board. These are just a few of the many reports of apparitions and strange events at this luxury liner turned hotel. See for yourself, why don't you? 


More Haunted Long Beach 
For many years, Long Beach served as home to a US Naval shipyard. Down at the water's edge you could also enjoy the beach, recreational facilities, and the Pike where everyone including sailors spent their free time. The Pike was a seaside amusement park which housed various types of attractions, carnival and thrill rides, shops, eateries, and entertainment. It was a favorite place for all. Movie theaters, nightclubs and restaurants were also within walking distance just north of the beach. Hotels and other accommodations began construction in most areas of the city due to the rising popularity of Long Beach as a tourist destination. But with such a boost in the city, it also had a dark side emerging. Business was booming, and crime became more apparent. A tattoo parlor was opened on the Pike, legal games of chance, and at least 2 adult only locations where liquor was served. After rides closed for the evening and families had gone home, ladies of the night began to frequent the area seeking lonely sailors. The rest is history. 
Crowds enjoying the Pike circa 1950's
Laff in the Dark Ride

Laff in the Dark was a favorite attraction at the Pike, a retro style dark ride full of scary moments as well as funny ones. Rumors of ghost sightings and strange events in the ride itself had existed for as long as I could remember. People have said they felt as though someone had touched them while in this attraction and on the Cyclone Racer roller coaster - not just at one particular segment of these rides either. We'd gone to the Pike so often I just chalked it up to special effects. However, in 1976 it was reported that a dead body was indeed found at the Laff in the Dark ride. A "hanging man" inside the actual attraction was discovered to be the corpse of a man named Elmer McCurdy.
 Other accounts noted include sightings of shadowy figures, circles of light (now referred to as orbs), eerie sounds of people on rides particularly near the site of the now torn down roller coaster and much more. In the first photo, take note of the very last large multi story white building in the background. That building still stands today on Pine Ave. just south of Ocean Blvd., with a ground floor arch that used to lead directly into the Pike's main walkway.

JUST EAST OF THE PIKE, THE VILLA RIVIERA
< When the Villa Riviera was a luxury hotel; now historic condominiums >

Called "Dracula's House", "The Haunted Castle", "Gargoyle Building" and other pseudonyms by locals; this 16 story French Gothic building is rich with history and reportedly haunted. Freakishly adorned with concrete gargoyles overlooking the city and the ocean, this was once a grand art deco suite style hotel which catered to the elite. It was also known as the Home of Admirals due to the many senior officers of the U.S. Navy stationed in Long Beach who sought hotel-style apartments, offering amenities and services. The hotel also hosted many a celebrity in it's heyday. Today it is now an ocean front condominium featuring apt. homes to penthouses, earning its rightful place on the National Register of Historic Places.
Yet, it is still rumored to be haunted. One of the most frequently reported paranormal events of this location is the woman in white. On the balcony surrounding the upper levels of the Villa Riviera, a ghostly white apparition of a woman has been said to be seen walking back and forth.
Various other occurrences have been rumored as well, but I cannot confirm these personally so I'll leave it at that.
There are many old hotels in the area which harbor similar hauntings to the woman in white and additional unexplained activity. Several have now been converted to apartments, but a few remain as they have always been.

Elevators and Staircase in the Villa Riviera
Gargoyles still ominously watch from the top floor of Villa Riviera today


I will now tell you about the house we lived in some time ago...

A house with a resident ghost
Even prior to moving into the older but cozy house in Long Beach, I felt a presence. While outside observing the garage door that needed repair, I felt a bit overwhelmed at the list of things I was mentally making notes of that I wanted to take care of. Just as I was thinking about this, I felt a hand on my shoulder as if someone was reassuring me not to worry. I quickly turned around, but no one was there. I then left with a strange feeling about the incident, but soon enough I convinced myself that perhaps I was just imagining the entire situation. 
A couple of weeks later my family and I moved in. It was not long before my children were telling me that a ghost of a man lived with us, and he was seen more than once in their bedroom. In addition, he had a name and was deemed as a ''good'' spirit. Try as I may, I never saw anything. But it left me wondering about that first encounter.
I worked at a nearby school and knew the family who lived in the house before we did. One day the youngest child of that family who was probably eight years old at the time approached me on the playground and said ''Do you know a ghost lives there?'' I was shocked. I replied with a smile and a definite no. She then went on to explain that there was a ghost in the house, and it was a man. I did not say anything as the bell rang for class, and she ran off. I will never forget that day. I knew she was right. I once again recalled the incident I had before moving in.   
Months went by, and we eventually had a house guest for awhile. This woman had only been staying with us a few days and announced that something evil was in the house. I did not sense that, but nevertheless I explained what she may have seen. She then became defensive and continued to state that this presence was evil. Over time I saw that she herself had an agenda, and eventually she moved out.
However... before she left...
There was an earthquake beginning with a tremendous jolt followed by intense shaking. I was terrified but didn't want the kids to see that. I instructed them to get in the doorway, cover their heads, and stay put. I stood behind them.
All of a sudden, he (the ghost) was there! I saw him! And our house guest did too. A shadow of a figure appeared in the hallway right in front of my bedroom door gesturing as if to say don't worry, it's going to be all right. I instantly felt calm; but at the same time I was frozen - staring at him as he moved down the hall towards the children's room, and then vanished. The shaking stopped. I asked them if they saw him just then as I had. They did not. 
As for our house guest, she couldn't pack up and get away fast enough. That was a good thing.
Although this earthquake brought a few aftershocks, the result was true to my experience. Everything did calm down eventually.
We lived there for five years before relocating to a different area. I feel that this was indeed a protective spirit, and I believe he may still be there as he was with us and with the previous tenants before us.


Haunted

Northern California: A true experience in the isolated community of Ryde... I present to you a very haunted location.






 




The Ryde Hotel 
Historic Ryde Hotel
Virtually isolated, the Ryde Hotel is quite remote. Located along a desolate section of the California Delta river, to say it is secluded would be an understatement.
Rich with history, this hotel was once a very upscale establishment which also served as a riverboat way station. Over the years, the Ryde has hosted celebrities of all types from politicians to movie stars and even mobsters. Additionally, it is also rumored to have been a bordello. The lower level was a speakeasy, serving bootleg whiskey to clientele while they danced to jazz music well into the early morning hours. There is also a trap door in the floor that opened to reveal a secret tunnel running under the road to a hidden doorway at the river's edge. How cool is that?
Reports have circulated that the Hotel is very haunted. I am sure that it is.
1996: During a road trip along the Delta, I saw an old pink building in the distance with a large water tower above and wondered what it was, as we were pretty much in the middle of nowhere. I felt drawn to it and as we approached closer, we decided to stop out front and check it out. 

Not only was this place a hotel, it was retro gorgeous. I mean look at that neon sign!
I went inside alone to look around while the others stayed in the car. It seemed very empty. No one seemed to be around, and that was fine with me. 

Mesmerized by the beautiful art deco atmosphere, I wanted to investigate if only for a few moments.
Observing the old speakeasy door, I immediately sensed as though I wasn't alone after all. You know, that unmistakable feeling as though you are being watched. I then encountered a slight breeze such as when someone walks by. I wasn't near any windows where I was standing. I turned around, yet no one was there. To be perfectly honest I didn't expect to see anyone either. I just knew. This was a spirit, a paranormal presence. It was definitely real. Even so, I continued to immerse myself in the beauty of this historic place which seemed to be frozen in time. Just for a few moments longer.
I went back outside to the car but didn't mention this experience either. I thought to myself that they wouldn't have believed me anyway.
A few years later I read a news article online about the hotel being haunted... so I began to research and found several accounts of hauntings and other occurrences at the 
Ryde Hotel.
Sightings of an apparition of a little girl and distant sounds of children playing have been noted. One incident which is documented was a man who actually felt someone touch him on his arm and slip their hand into his. He had the distinct feeling that this was a child - and then it abruptly stopped.
Others have reported hearing voices, and splashing in the pool yet no one was there. A recurring observance is another presence which is said to be the spirit of a man; usually reported in the general area of the stairwell leading to the old speakeasy and the lower level itself. Which is exactly where I was when I became aware of the unseen manifestation!

Again, I really had no idea about any of these speculations during my visit.
But I DO know what I personally experienced.

 

Hauntings aside, the Ryde Hotel is so very interesting. It is a historic masterpiece from the past. I would describe it as art deco/retro gorgeous, from the iconic details of the building to the tastefully designed interiors of yesteryear. It is a true vintage haven. The owners have chosen to keep it as original as possible which makes it very unique to say the least. Perfect hideaway when you require solitude, definitely worth a visit... nothing for miles around except the hotel and the river.